- Proofread the email. Read it out loud if possible.
- Survey your emotions. If you feel upset or anxious, wait a few hours and revisit the email.
- Recall the purpose of the email. Are you replying, and if so, have you answered all requests? Are next steps and responsible parties stated clearly?
- Check the “To” and “CC” lines. Is there anyone included who shouldn’t be?
- Finally, consider the content. Email is a public and lasting medium. If your message contains any of the following, you should consider an in-person meeting or phone call:
- Confidential or private information
- Sensitive topics
- Complex information
If writing isn’t your strong suit, you’re in luck. Our business writing course offers can-do tips for any type of professional writing.