Communication is the foundation of every successful work environment. Effective communication can boost productivity and improve relationships. Hone your communication skills with these five tips:
- Speak with clarity. When you try to cover to much information, you may be misunderstood and you’ll likely waste time. Try to relay your point in the shortest way possible, whether you’re writing an email or in a meeting. Review your talking points ahead of time to make sure you don’t deviate.
- Use technology wisely. There are instances when meeting in person is more effective than sending an email and vice versa. Face-to-face meetings are better suited for complicated or sensitive topics.
- Ask questions. Be prepared to ask at least two insightful questions in each meeting. This will help you understand what is being said and keep everyone engaged.
- Remove negative emotions. Letting your emotions dictate a conversation can hinder important messages. If you are upset, take a few minutes to breathe before you approach the situation.
- Practice Closure. Conversations left open are vulnerable to misunderstandings. Close each interaction definitively: Define next steps at the end of a meeting and send confirmation when you receive an email. These measures ensure that everyone is on the same page.
When you communicate effectively, you earn respect and improve efficiency in your office. Practice these skills in our Leadership Presentation seminar.