You don’t need a wardrobe full of clothes to be well-dressed for work and formal situations. By developing a core wardrobe of basic pieces that you can mix and match, you can be confident about looking your best—whatever the occasion.
Build your wardrobe out of these basic items. And remember: Your business wardrobe should reflect the core values of the industry in which you work.
Men’s Professional Core Wardrobe
- Suits/jackets and trousers: Two to four suits (navy, charcoal or other dark or neutral colors) or four jacket and trouser combinations
- Shirts: Five work shirts in a variety of complimentary colors or patterns
- Silk ties: Five silk ties to coordinate with your work shirts
- Outer coat: At least one coat or raincoat to wear over your suit in charcoal, black, navy or beige
- Shoes: Two to three pairs of formal shoes in neutral colors: black, brown or cordovan.
- Leather Belts: Two to three leather belts to match your shoes
Woman’s Professional Core Wardrobe
- Suits/jackets, skirts and trousers: Two to four suits in complementary neutral colors or a combination of four jackets and four skirts or pairs of slacks
- Tops: Six to eight tops, shirts or knitwear items, incorporating a variety of colors that suit you well
- Dresses: Dresses are a good alternate to skirts and tops
- Outer coat: At least one coat or raincoat to wear over your suit
- Shoes: Three pairs of formal shoes that are appropriate to current styles and to the season
- Bags: Two quality handbags in neutral colors, with at least one roomy enough to hold work documents or folders
Quality over quantity does it every time!
We can help! Learn how to make your best impression with tips from Dardis Communications’ Professional Presence, Image & Etiquette seminar.